We are evolving at an exponential rate in technology development. The rate of disruption of a technology is measured using Gartner’s Hype curve, which tracks the current interest levels and implementation feasibility. Here are five technologies which everyone should understand:
Source: Gartner’s 2015 Hype cycle for emerging technologies
- Internet of Things: This term has now got into every industry possible along with very high expectations. This technology in simple terms is “Connecting everyday objects to internet”. For example: In future, users can access their home from anywhere around the world using internet.
2. Consumer 3D printing: This technology has grown wildly around the world and now there are plenty of desktop 3D printers, which are very user friendly. 3D printing depends heavily on material research and we have successfully developed metal, food, body parts, concrete and electronics 3D printing. The day is not far, when Amazon will fly a drone to your house that 3D prints the phone case you had ordered an hour back.
3. Autonomous Vehicles: The race towards building most reliable self-driving cars is huge now. Google, Tesla, and Mercedes in-spite of leading the race, there are many developments from Chinese technology giants such as Baidu. It is mind blowing on how this technology can transform the safety of transportation industry. It is not only safe way but the fastest way we can transport ourselves.
4. Virtual reality: Taking people into virtual world through games or movies has always been an amazing experience. Now this is more like a reality where this technology tricks the brain to feel like we have come to a new world. This technology has no limitations of entertainment, it can not only take us to the best places in the world, but also to the space without having to spend millions of dollars. The best part is there are many virtual reality headsets available to order online, cheapest being the google cardboard (for $20).
5. Augmented reality: If our world can move into the virtual world, why not also give the possibility of bringing the Virtual world into our world. Augmented reality shapes the future of wearable industry giving rise to super human capabilities. Everything we need to visualize is now possible with augmented reality. This technology is paving the path to give birth to wearable so that we never have to carry our smart phones in the future.
If you are interested to know more on any technology, put that in the comments below and I will be happy to write about it.